English classes with Mitzi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window

+12
Michael
liorap
Ilia Altmark
Yana S
Julia Klepfish
yula k
Anton ch
Eran
Anton I
Slava
JennyI
Mitzi100
16 posters

Go down

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window Empty Second on-line assignment for The Open Window

Post by Mitzi100 Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi Everyone,
This assignment is due no later than 22:00 on Saturday night. Remember: Not doing this assignment on time is the same as missing a lesson. Evil or Very Mad

Here is an article which gives you some background about Saki, the author of The Open Window, and about the time period in which the story was written. Please read the article ( using your dictionary to help you understand words which are new for you) : http://www.storybites.com/sakiwindow2.htm and answer the following questions -

1. Which information in the article adds to your understanding of the story?
2. Does knowing this information help you enjoy the story? Why? or Why not?
3. Do you think that knowing more information (about Saki or the time period) than is
included in this article would help you enjoy or understand the story more? Why?

After you answer the questions, read the answers other students wrote, and react to what one other student has written.

See you in class on Sunday!
Mitzi

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window Empty Saki

Post by JennyI Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:35 pm

3. Do you think that knowing more information (about Saki or the time period) than is
included in this article would help you enjoy or understand the story more? Why?

1. The fact that Munro(Saki) was an outsider himself and was shuttled off to boarding school at the age of twelve made me understand why would he write a semi horror story, and it was about something he understood , if not experienced.
2. Knowing this information did not help me to enjoy the story more then I already did, because the information adds nothing to the story itself.
3. If there would be more information about Saki, it would help me understand the the point of the story.

What a Face

JennyI

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window Empty Re: Second on-line assignment for The Open Window

Post by Slava Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:21 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:1. Which information in the article adds to your understanding of the story?
1. The backround of the time helped me get a better understanding of the story.
2. It did. When I first read the story I just thought the girl was a bit cruel, while now I can understand better what were her reasons behind her prank.
3. Yes, I do. knowing more about the auther, the time and the special cultural traits can give you better understanding of the story and the reasoning behind every actions of the charactars, so that when you read you may be more attached with the characters that now, with the new information at hand, seem less distant and more human.

JennyI wrote:1. The fact that Munro(Saki) was an outsider himself and was shuttled off to boarding school at the age of twelve made me understand why would he write a semi horror story, and it was about something he understood , if not experienced.
2. Knowing this information did not help me to enjoy the story more then I already did, because the information adds nothing to the story itself.
3. If there would be more information about Saki, it would help me understand the the point of the story.
I disagree, the article above was pretty informant and had details that helped get a clearer picture of the story.

Slava
Admin

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-09-09

http://english.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window Empty I Anton

Post by Anton I Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:48 pm

Answers:
1.The imformation that added to my understanding was about Saki himself - the fact that he felt alien because of the hostile treatment he recieved in his childhood.
2. Yes. Now after reading this information I understand why he wanted to write this story - to express his feeling and not just for fun and thrill.
3. Understanding the time period - yes. It is understood now why the girl in the story acted the way she did - it was more then just for fun,it was because she disliked the fact he was an outsider.

JennyI wrote:1. Which information in the article adds to your understanding of the story?

1. The fact that Munro(Saki) was an outsider himself and was shuttled off to boarding school at the age of twelve made me understand why would he write a semi horror story, and it was about something he understood , if not experienced.

Why if there would be more information about him will help you to understand the point of the story better?

Anton I

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window Empty Re: Second on-line assignment for The Open Window

Post by Eran Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:54 pm

1.The information that that added to my understanding of the story is that the story provides a commentary about the cruelty that was "under the surface" in the Victorian times. It made me to view the story a little differently, and view the girl as more evil then I thought in the beginning.
2. It helped to enjoy it a little more because now I can feel the dark atmosphere the story has. Before that I just thought it is a a little weird story, but not a horror story.
3. I don't think so, because there is a limit to the things that could help you to understand the story. For example, knowing the life of further information about Victorian customs will not help to understand the story better.

I generally agree with Slava, but I think that knowing further details about Saki and the Victorian time period will not help you to understand the story better. I think there is a limited number of facts that can help you to understand this story better, and most of these facts are in the article.

Eran

Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window Empty Anton Ch

Post by Anton ch Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:45 am

Which information in the article adds to your understanding of the story?

Answers:
1.The information that added to my understanding of the story is the fact that the writer tells us the story of Victorians times. Cruelty and snobbishness of those times explained to me why this self-possessed young lady was so evil.
2.The whole atmosphere of the story is no less terrifying than the two made fabrications of the cool self-possessed young lady.I didn't enjoy the story, because while I was reading the story again, I shivered with disgust and horror. Never in my life did I see such a mean self-possessed girl.
3.If I didn't read the commentary about Saki I would have understood the story as a funny, but nasty and "black" joke. The limited number of facts doesn't allow me to understand the whole background of the story better.

Anton I wrote:
Why if there would be more information about him will help you to understand the point of the story better?

Anton .I. I disagree with you, because if you have more information about Saki and Victorians times you can easily understand the point of the story that's like if you have lived in these ancient times.

Anton ch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Second on-line assignment for The Open Window Empty Answers

Post by yula k Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Answers:

1.the information which helped me is the time because first i dont undestand what the letters were for.
2.yes it did because it helped me to understsnd it more and to conect more to it.
3.yes,it would help me to enjoy the story more because after knowing all this information i would relad more to the story and understand it batter.

i aggre with Slava.

yula k

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Julia Klepfish Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:18 pm

1.The information in the article that helped me to understand the story better is the information about the Victorian-Edwardian times.The fact that the Victorians didn't receive outsiders kindly explains the girl's behavior.
2.Knowing this information helped me to enjoy the story a bit more because now I know why the characters acted the way they did.
3.Yes I did.As I said,knowing more information about the period that the story took place in helps you to understand the behavior of the characters better.

I disagree with Jenny.I think that knowing more information about the author or the time period help you to enjoy the story better.

Julia Klepfish

Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Yana S Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:59 pm

1. The Summry of the story at the begining of the article really helped me understanding the main idea of story.
2.Knowing the information helped me enjoy more the story,because now i understand better the girl's behavior .
3.Yes, i think it would. Because if you will know the time period the story was written, and that a similiar situation heppened to the auther you will understand better the story and the idea from the auther's point of view.

Yana S

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyI Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:43 pm

i agree with Slava, the information about Saki doesnt help much.

JennyI

Back to top Go down

Post by Ilia Altmark Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:53 pm

3. Do you think that knowing more information (about Saki or the time period) than is included in this article would help you enjoy or understand the story more? Why?

1. The Information about the Victorian-Edwardian times was quite helpfull to understand the background of the story.
2. Yes, now I know much more why the girl scared the visitor.
3. The information given in the article is enough to understand Saki's interest for writting such story but knowing more about the time of the story and the auther's background might reveal new interesting facts.

Ilia Altmark

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by liorap Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:24 pm

1)the information abou Saki helped me undersand better the story .The times in the article help me and now I understand more about he letters.
2)I think that after knowing more about Saki ,It's make me enjoy more because I can conact better to the story.
3)Yes, because there are ideas in the story that are difficult to understand.

liorap

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:42 am

1. The information about the author's childhood helped me to understand the reason that is behaind the story, before I knew about the authors sad past I tought it was a poorly written story, but now I know the story is based on the author's childhood.
2. Knowing the information about Saki doesn't help me to enjoy the story, because I didn't feel connected to the story before knowing about Saki's past and I don't feel connected to the story after reading about Saki's past.
3.I don't think that knowing more information about the author,Saki, shall help me to enjoy the story more, although it might help me to understand better the story, like the information about his chilhood helped me to understand the story better and the reason behaind writing him.

I disagree with yula k, I think knowing more information about the author might help you understand the story better but it won't help you to connect to the story,I think if you didn't connect to the story from the first reading you won't connect to him after knowing the author's history from age 0 to his death date.

to Mitzi: I'm sorry for writing this late, could you forgive me please? Smile

Michael

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ilan.p. Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:34 am

1. Now after reading the article I understand that the story is actually based on the author's childhood. Besides it's more clear why he wrote such a horrible story, the point of the story became more clear to me.

2. On one hand,knowing information about Saki didn't make me enjoy of the story. I did'nt really like the story from the beginning. On the other hand, it's bacame clear to me why the girl behaved like that and why the story was written in this way.

3.I don't think that knowing more information about Saki have made me understand the story better. It does helps me to understand whe wrote the story in this way, that it's all connected with his childhood, I understand his point of view and why some characters behaved like that( especially the girl herself).

ilan.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Answers:

1. The most authentic and useful information was about the Victorian epoch. After the reading, the actions of the characters became clearer to me (I didn't understand why Mr. Nuttel needed a recommendation letter just to spend a couple of days at the neighborhood).
2. Yes. When I read about Saki's roots, I realized that the story had a note of criticism in it.
3. Of course it will! When I know more information about the author and the time period, I can look closer at the problems that bothered people on those days. For an example, after reading the information page about Saki and the story, I developed a lot of empathy to the autor.

Jonathan

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by jenia buzilo Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:58 pm

3. Do you think that knowing more information (about Saki or the time period) than is included in this article would help you enjoy or understand the story more? Why?

1)The Information about the Victorian-Edwardian times was very helpfull to understand better the story.
2)Knowing this information didn't help me to enjoy the story better bacause I didn't really like the story and I didn't feel the conected to the story.
3)I didn't conect to the story but I think that the information can help because there are ideas in the story that are difficult to understand.

jenia buzilo

Back to top Go down

Post by Adi Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:06 pm

1. In this article I read about the period in which the story was written. The fact that in the Victorians times people didn't great outsiders with open arms explains a lot.
And the article summarizes the story in a very understandable way.
2. Knowing this information didn't help me to enjoy the story, because the joy does not depends on the information or the summarizing it depends on the story itself.
3. Knowing more information about the period and about the writers himself helps to understand and makes the story reasonable. But to enjoy the story there's no need in information.

Adi

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down