English classes with Mitzi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Open Window assignment

+13
emanuel.Y
Yana S
ilan.p.
yula k
liorap
JennyI
Michael
Julia Klepfish
Anton ch
Eran
Anton I
Slava
Mitzi100
17 posters

Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty The Open Window assignment

Post by Mitzi100 Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:26 am

Hi Everyone,
For this assignment, you will follow one of the links below and finish reading the story, "The Open Window". Assuming that in class you managed to fill in the first two lines of the prediction worksheet, just read the story to the end and fill in the third line of each section of the worksheet.

1. http://btflatt.tripod.com/stories/saki2.htm
2. http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/366/
3. http://42opus.com/v7n1/theopenwindow

If you didn't manage to read to line 38 in class and fill in the second line of the worksheet, stop reading after this line - "It is quite warm for the time of the year," said Framton; "but has that window got anything to do with the tragedy?" , and then fill in the second line of each section of the worksheet, before you finish reading the story. After you finish reading the story, complete the worksheet. Bring the worksheet to class on Sunday.
If you missed the lesson, print out the worksheet I will post after I write this assignment, and start from the beginning of the task. If you have any questions about what to do, write to me before you begin.
After you finish the worksheet, follow one of these links and listen to the story.
1. http://content.loudlit.org/audio/window/pages/01_01_window.htm
2. http://www.mediafly.com/MediaPlayer/Episode/Sometimes_2_The_Open_Window_by_Saki ( There are about 2 and a half minutes of nonsense before the reader gets to the story. Ignore all of that, and just comment on the reading of the story.)

After you listen to one of the versions of reading the story, write a note to the forum and write a few sentences answering the following questions:
1. Does listening to the dramatic reading of the story help you understand the story better? Why or why not?
2. Does hearing the story cause you to enjoy the story more or less? Why?
3. Do you like the way the reader read the story? What did you like (or not like)
about it?
Finally, wait until a few other people have written notes to the form, and send one more message reacting to someone else's comments.

You must complete this assignment by Thursday night, so that I can check forum comments on Friday morning. Remember: If you have any questions about what to do after reading the instructions carefully, send me a question before you begin the task!
Enjoy the story!
Mitzi

Last edited by Mitzi100 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty Re: The Open Window assignment

Post by Slava Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:14 am

Mitzi100 wrote:1. Does listening to the dramatic reading of the story help you understand the story better? Why or why not?
3. Do you like the way the reader read the story? What did you like (or not like)
about it?

1. Not really, I prefer to read on my own pace and get the general picture myself, with the words in front of me.

2. I enjoy the story more when I read it myself, because then I can focus on the words and understand better.

3. I didn't like it because I think he shouldn't read it exactly as it was written but make a few changes, there isn't an actual need to say every time "X said" when you read in different voices and it was just disorienting. Also, the vioces were a bit strange..

Edit: I listened to the sometimes 2 narration

Last edited by Slava on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Slava
Admin

Number of posts : 17

http://english.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty I Anton

Post by Anton I Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:54 pm

1. Does listening to the dramatic reading of the story help you understand the story better? Why or why not?
about it?

Answers:
1. Yes it does, the dramatic reading (I listened to the reader in the first link) makes me focus better in some parts and understanding the story much better then on my own.
2. Yes, hearing of the story from another person (especially in a dramatic way) is enjoyable more then reading it myself.
3. Actually no, I didn't like the way he was reading it. In my opinion the reader was reading without any emotional part in it (like acting the part where the niece was telling the story about the bodies in a proper tone) and he wasn't really trying too hard on making the story interesting to me (causing in some points for me to want to stop hearing it).

Last edited by Anton I on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Anton I

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty comments on the dramatic readings

Post by Mitzi100 Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi Everyone,
When you comment on the dramatic reading, please say which one you listened to.
Mitzi

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Eran Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:22 pm

1. No. Actually the British accent of the narrator made some of the words to sound unclear to me, and it was easier to me to understand the story through reading.
2. Yes because it's nice to listen to dramatic reading and it helps to picture the story.
3. I liked the dramatic way in which he read the story because it made me to picture the story better in my mind, but I didn't like his accent that made some of the words to sound unclear to me.

Eran

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty Anton Ch

Post by Anton ch Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:11 pm

1. Does listening to the dramatic reading of the story help you understand the story better ? Why or why not?

Answers:
1.Yes of course, the dramatic reading of the story help me to understand the story better. Because I can focus more attentivly on the details of the story and "paint" easier the situations in my own eyes.
2.Yes of course, hearing of the story in a dramatic way increases the enjoy of the story more then reading it by myself.
3. I loved the way the reader had read the story. His reading is impressive and lets me to understand the story clearly. Exclamation

Anton ch

Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Julia Klepfish Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 pm

1. Does listening to the dramatic reading of the story help you understand the story better ? Why or why not?

1.Not really,I prefer to read on my own and see the text in front of me.
2.Yes,hearing the story caused me to enjoy the story more because he reads it in a dramatic way.
3.I liked the fact that he read it dramaticly but I didn't really liked the voices that he made,they were quite strange.

I listened to the second link.

I agree whith Slava,it is better to read the story when you can see a printed text.

Julia Klepfish

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Eran Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:47 pm

I agree With Anton I: listening to somebody who reads the story dramatically is more enjoyable then reading it on your own, but thats in condition you have the text in front of your eyes when you listening to the reader, so you can understand everything that he says.

Eran

Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:13 pm

1. The dramatic reading of the story helps me to imaginate the images of the situation's in my mind as they're described in the story, although the narrator could've done better with the voices of the characters, he should put more emotions into his reading.(I sensed a lack of drama in his reading ><).
2. The hearing of the story causes the story to be more amusing for me, because I've always thought the British accent is hilarious and amusing,at least for me.
3.In overall I liked his British accent(the reason mentioned above) which made the story more amusing, though I didn't like the lack of emotions in the character's voices.

I listened to the first narration.

I agree with Julia, the voices the narrator made for the characters were indeed strange which was caused by the lack of emotion in his voice.

Michael

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty The Open Window (jenny .i.)

Post by JennyI Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 pm

about it?

1. The dramatic reading of the story did not help me to understand the story better. For me , the man thet read the story used the same tone of voice for each characters , so I could not know what they felt when they talked. (scared, happy, tierd, sad...).
2. After the first 10 sec. of hearing the story I wanted to stop the reading. I did not like the voice of the reader, the tone. Maybe if each characters had a different voice (like, woman's voice for the niece).
3. I did not like the way the reader read the story. His tone of voice made the characters sound snobs, and when I read the story it was not the way I saw them.
P.S. I listened to the first link.

RE: I agree with Michael that the lack of emotions in the reader's voice was one of the main reasens why the reading was not enjoyable.

JennyI

Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty answers

Post by liorap Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:47 pm

1)In my opinion I understand better the story when I read him alone.
I can't conect to the story when someone tell him like in the listening.
2)I don't like the story so muchand because of this it's not imporant to me hearung or listening the story.
3)Ithink the reader need to read the story in better way like more dramaticly.

I think like yulia.
Very Happy

liorap

Back to top Go down

Post by yula k Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:57 pm

about it?

answers
1.I all ready anderstud the story ,but if it was the first time ehat i read it with this it would help me a lot.
2.it cause me to enjoy the story more because it more intresting and easy to understand the story like this.
3.i liked how he read the story but he could read it more slower,and dramatically.

and i agerr with Eran

yula k

Back to top Go down

The Open Window assignment Empty The Open Window by saki

Post by ilan.p. Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:01 pm

about it?
1. As for me, the dramatic reading didn't really help me to undestand the story better, because in my opinion the person talked to fastly and unclearly.Besides, I prefer to read all the stories by myself, it makes me more concentrated.
2. I didn't like his way of hearing. He reads to fast and after a few seconds I wanted to stop listening.In my opinion, the story wasn't so interesting and exciting , but I admit that I learned some new words. The level of writing was quite high.
3. I did not like the way the reader read the story. When I read the story, the characters looked to me more gentle and calm. The reader made them look like snobs(I agree with Genia). It seems the reader tried to make the story more dramatic, more exciting, but it didn't impressed me at all. I really prefer to read by myself.

ilan.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Slava Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:09 pm

JennyI wrote:1. The dramatic reading of the story did not help me to understand the story better. For me , the man thet read the story used the same tone of voice for each characters , so I could not know what they felt when they talked. (scared, happy, tierd, sad...).
2. After the first 10 sec. of hearing the story I wanted to stop the reading. I did not like the voice of the reader, the tone. Maybe if each characters had a different voice (like, woman's voice for the niece).
3. I did not like the way the reader read the story. His tone of voice made the characters sound snobs, and when I read the story it was not the way I saw them.
P.S. I listened to the first link.

RE: I agree with Michael that the lack of emotions in the reader's voice was one of the main reasens why the reading was not enjoyable.

I agree, the reading tone was one of the things that ruined the enjoyment that could be obtained through this reading.

Slava
Admin

http://english.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton ch Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Eran I apree with your opinion but,sometimes you can understand everything very well:!: even without seeing the written text

Anton ch

Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton I Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Eran wrote:1. Does listening to the dramatic reading of the story help you understand the story better? Why or why not?

1. No. Actually the British accent of the narrator made some of the words to sound unclear to me, and it was easier to me to understand the story through reading.
2. Yes because it's nice to listen to dramatic reading and it helps to picture the story.
3. I liked the dramatic way in which he read the story because it made me to picture the story better in my mind, but I didn't like his accent that made some of the words to sound unclear to me.

The British accent? what kind of version of the reading did you hear? I didn't hear any British accent in any of the readings Neutral

Anton I

Back to top Go down

Post by Yana S Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:58 pm

1.It Didn't help me to understand the story better, because the british annoing accent of the reader.
Instead of listening the story normally,i was listening to the accent and it was driving me crazy.
So I prefer reading the story by myself.
2. No it isn't cuse me to enjoy more, because i understand the story better when i picture the story and the characters and their voices in my head.
3.No i didn't, as i said previously, his accent make it difficult to concentrate.

I agree with Eran =]
I listened to the secong link.
What a Face

Yana S

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by emanuel.Y Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:52 pm

about it?
1.Not really,I prefer to read on my own and and in this way i can image the situation with mysef and that make me understand the story better.
2.hearing the story didn't cause me to enjoy the story more because i hate the British accent it's very annoying.
3.I liked the dramatical way the reader read the story.But i didn't like his British accent.

I agree with Yana.S.
I listened to the second link.

emanuel.Y

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:14 am

about it?

Answers:

1. I think that the audio version of the story was quite nice. After the second reading, and listening to the recorded one, I understood it much better. The narrator's reading wasn't the best interpretation of the story bur still, it was fun to drink a cup of coffee and listen to ''The Open Window''.

Jonathan

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:38 pm

2. Well, yes. As I mentioned before, the listening makes the story more understandable. There were parts that I could not get before the listening.

3.The reader made a nice job, except the accent. I know that British English is the original and the correct one, but sometimes, my ears just cannot stand the sound of it. I wanted to scream towards the guy from the speakers: ''In English, please!''.

Jonathan

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ilia Altmark Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:33 pm

about it?

1. Yes, because the reading shows how Mr. Nuttel felt about the situation and after all it can be hard to understand some parts of the story without knowing exactly how the characters feel.
2. Hearing the story puts me in to the atmosphere of the story and makes me enjoy the story in another way.
3. The reader read with a British accent what was quite nice considering that the story happened in Britain.

Ilia Altmark

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dima Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 pm

about it?

1. No, because when I see the text in front of me I can understand it better.
2. Yes, because listening to the dramatic reading is more enjoyable then reading it.
3. I like the way that the reader read the story, because it get me into the atmosphere of the story.

Dima

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jenia buzilo Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:50 pm

about it?

1)No, because when I read the text in front of me I can understand it better.
2)YES. because listening to this music is more interesting then reading it and put me to the atmosphere of the story.
3)I liked the dramatical way the reader read the story, because of his british accent.

jenia buzilo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down