English classes with Mitzi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3

+9
liorap
ilan.p.
jenia buzilo
JennyI
emanuel.Y
Anton I
Anton ch
Slava
Mitzi100
13 posters

Go down

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3 Empty Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3

Post by Mitzi100 Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
This assignment is meant to give you some information which will help you understand, and ,hopefully, enjoy the play we are going to read. Here is the assignment:

1. Download the article (if you can't manage to download ask slava) and read study the article.

2. Please use your dictionary to look up the words you don't understand.
Make a chart for your log, sorting these words in some logical way. You may choose to sort them by parts of speech, or by groups of words which are related by meaning (They all have to do with__X__ ) Be prepared to explain why you have grouped the words the way you did. You must have at least 15 words on your chart. You may have more.

3. Answer these questions on the forum:
a. In a few sentences, tell what this article is about. Include a few main details.

b. Since you have been told that this article is background information for the
play that we are going to read, what do you predict the play is about?
Guess some of the details, don't just say that there will be a trial.

c. Why do you think that this article may help you to understand the play
better?

4. After you write your answer, look at the prediction of one of the other students and say whether you think that prediction is logical or not and why. Your comment should be at least 3 sentences long.

Remember! You must read the article and post your answers before you read the answers that other students have written!!!

This assignment is due by Saturday night ( 4/10/2008) at 22:00. Not doing it on time is the same as missing a lesson. Saturday night is also the very latest that you can complete the first two assignments. After Saturday night, you will not be able to post answers to those assignments. No

Best wishes for a terrific New Year! cheers
Mitzi

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3 Empty Re: Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3

Post by Slava Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:42 am

Mitzi100 wrote:3. Answer these questions on the forum:
a. In a few sentences, tell what this article is about. Include a few main details.

better?
A. It is an informative article that tells us mainly about the jury, in addition to explaining the legal procedures of the trial and reaching a verdict. It informs us about how the jury is chosen in the "Voir Dire" examination, what are the jury's roles and what are not. Also it gives us some information about how trial works, about the stages and etiquette.

B. I think the play might be from the point of view of one of the jury members or his family. He might have trouble deciding about the trial, or he will have a hard time not speaking about the trial with others, or hearing about it from a different source.

C. Because here we have a different trial system then that which the text reffers to we can easely have a hard time to understand about what is going on in the play because we don't understand why the characters react the way they do to certain things that should be understandable to us, but without the text, would not.

Last edited by Slava on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Slava
Admin

Number of posts : 17

http://english.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3 Empty Re: Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3

Post by Mitzi100 Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:22 am

Great, Slava!

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3 Empty Anton Ch

Post by Anton ch Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 am

Mitzi100 wrote:3. Answer these questions on the forum:

better?

Answers:

A.This article informs us how the courts work, how the juries are chosen by the " The "Voir Dire" Examination" . We also learn what the process of the trial is. Mainly there is a detailed description of the behavior in the courtroom, the duties of the grand jury and the judge.
For example, the grand jury may choose a summary of the facts or some of the facts.

B. I think the play might be about someone’s view who was in the court as a juror for first time .

C. Because the information, which is given in the article, is the basis of understanding on what the whole jury system depends on. I think that our court system is different from what I am going to read in the play.

Slava wrote:
B. I think the play might be from the point of view of one of the jury members or his family. He might have trouble deciding about the trial, or he will have a hard time not speaking about the trial with others, or hearing about it from a different source.

Slava your prediction is logical.
But, explain to me please, what you mean by saying "have a hard time not speaking about the trial”. According to the article the jury members are under no obligation to speak to any person about the case.

Anton ch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Slava Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:03 pm

Anton ch wrote:
Slava wrote:
Slava your prediction is logical.
But, explain to me please, what you mean by saying "have a hard time not speaking about the trial”. According to the article the jury members are under no obligation to speak to any person about the case.

That is exactly why the "not" comes in there. You are mistaken, my dear friend. It's not that they have no obligations to speak with other people about the case, it is that they are forbidden of doing so, and that is exactly what may be the problem.

P.S. The point of the "Remember! You must read the article and post your answers before you read the answers that other students have written!!!" was that you first post the answers and then you post your comments in a different post after reading the other answers.

Slava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3 Empty I Anton

Post by Anton I Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:52 pm

better?

Answers:
a. The whole article tells us about the way the jury should avoid impartiality, the way of the courtroom etiquette and the procedure of the trail that leads eventually to verdict- the "Voir Dire" Examination, the stages of the trail, the argument of the counsel and the finally the jury's verdict.
b. I guess that the play tells us about a character who has been incriminated and because of that he\she is put on a trail full of impartial jury.
c. It will help me because I have learned a few of the court rules which, in my opinion will be broken during the play and it makes it necessary to know the rules and the proceeding of the trail to understand the story’s plot.

Last edited by Anton I on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anton I

Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3 Empty Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3

Post by emanuel.Y Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:

better?

Answers:
a.The artical gives us information about correct judge and about all the process that happen before the judging
and after that.The artical also tells us the process of the trail.The artical tells us that the jury have to past the " voir dire" before the judging process.The artical also tells us the role of the jury and the role of the judge.

b.I think the play might be about a student that has to do a work about judging.I men the student learn judging and he has to past an experional work to do a test.

c.Because the information that given in the article tells us exactly what happe in the judge system and the information learn me things i did not know and those things help me to understand the play better.

Anton Ch wrote:B. I think the play might be about someone’s view who was in the court as a juror for first time .

I think his prediction is logical because when I read the artical it seem like someone tells us something new that he did not know and he wrote everything that he saw there and found out and tried to pass us all the information he found out there.

emanuel.Y

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Slava Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Anton I wrote:b. I guess that the play tells us about a character who has been condemned and because of that he\she is put on a trail full of impartial jury.

I disagree with this prediction. Because the text was mainly about the duty of the jury, and a person is condemned after being on a trial, not before.

Slava
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyI Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:07 pm

better?

A.This article is about how the court performs when a person is charged with a criminal case. The article focuses mostly on the jury. The article explains the jury selection, conduct of the jury during the trial, what happens in the jury room and more. The article also states the eight stages of trial.

B. Since I have been told that this article is background information for the play that we are going to read, I predict that the play is about a murder trial. I think the play going to focus on each of the jurors while they are in the jury room trying to give a verdict. I think the play going to be a funny play, so we probably going to read how one or several of the juries trying to sabotage the verdict, to ether stay longer in the jury room or to leave early home.

C.I think that this article may help me to understand the play better, because knowing the rules of the court in a criminal case and the juries part in it can help me know and understand the actions of the characters in the play. I will know if the play is humorous ( if the characters don't follow the court rules) or a serious play.

** I disagree with emanuel, I do not think that the play is going to be about a man that goes to jury and writes about the rules and his experiment there. I think if it was so we did not need the article, because "the mans notes" would be already written in the article. I think the article gives us only a little information about what we are going to read and the information will help us understand the actions of the characters in the play.

JennyI

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jenia buzilo Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 pm

1) This article gives us the information about the role that the trial plays in the life of society. It information us about the trial. It explains how the trial works and how the jury is chosen in the "voir dire" examination , It tells us some information what are the jurys roles and what are not.

2)I agree with emanuel answer that it is about someone who have to do a test or a work about judging.

3) It wiil help me because i have learned some new rules and about judge system, this new information help me to understend the play better.

jenia buzilo

Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to read the play - on-line assignment #3 Empty ilan.p.

Post by ilan.p. Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:56 pm

A. The article shows us how the trial goes. It's explained a step after step what are the rules when a person is in the court . It's explained how the , actually, the jury passes the " voir dire" before he becomes a jury by himself. It gives us information about the" job" the everyone has to fill , and what's legal and illegal at the court.

B. In my opinion, the play is going to be about someone who murdered accidently other person. They will go to the court and he will regret about this but it won't help him. He will be put into a jail for a very long time and even the best jury would'nt be able to help him to get out of this. Because of this accident his future has been destroyed.

C.I think that the article tries to prepare us of what is going to happen in the play. I am sure that not everyone knows and understands how actuallty a trial goes and the whole rules that are included. If we know what every role is responsible for, we will understand the play better.

* I don't agree with Emanuel too. I don't really believe that the whole play will be about just a student who is doing a work or something. I am quite sure that the play will be more excited then just the" exams" the this student must pass in order to be a jury. It will be a kind of a detective.

ilan.p.

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton I Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Slava wrote:
Anton I wrote:b. I guess that the play tells us about a character who has been condemned and because of that he\she is put on a trail full of impartial jury.

I disagree with this prediction. Because the text was mainly about the duty of the jury, and a person is condemned after being on a trial, not before.

My mistake,I used the wrong word to describe the sentence, I meant "incriminated"=הופלל and not "condemned"=הורשע.

Anton I

Back to top Go down

Post by liorap Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:54 pm

1)The article tells us about all the things that happened in a trial and about all the thing hat conacted to a case in the court. The article included details like roles and way of behavior.
2)I think that the play will be about a murder or a thefh. A person will have a problem with the laws.
3)Because I learned a lot of new things of this article and It will help me to understand better the play.

liorap

Back to top Go down

Post by Julia Klepfish Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:34 pm

a) This article is about a criminal case. It explains how a typical trial looks like, who are the people that should be in the court and their role in it. This article gives background information about the juridical system, but it mainly concentrates on the juries’ role. The juries have an important role because they decide whether the defendant is guilty or not.

b) This play is about a trial, I think that a person will be accused in a murder that he didn’t committed. The article gives information about the way juries’ act, that why I think there will be some problems with one of them. It may be that a jury would know personally the defendant but he doesn’t admit it.

c) I think it may help me because I didn’t know much about the important role of the juries’ in the trial.

I agree with Jenny that this play might be about a murder trial and it focuses on each one of the juries. I also think that one of the juries will try to sabotage the trial because of personal relationship with the defendant. However, I don’t think that this play will be funny, it is more likely that it will be dramatic.

Julia Klepfish

Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Eran Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:18 pm

better?

a. The article is about the jury court. Its mainly about the rights and obligations of the jury, but also it talks about the general procedure of a trial, and the courtroom Etiquette.
b. I think the plays main hero will be a jury in some trial, and the reason that we need to know all the obligations of the juries is that we could understand why does he acts as he acts. I also think that some people will try to affect the heroes opinion outside the court in more or less gentle ways.
c. Because with the help of this article we could understand why the judge and the juries are acting as they
acting in the play-that probably will take place in court.

I agree with Slava about the prediction that the hero of the story is a jury or someone who is related to the to him because the article that we have been given to read is mainly about juries and their obligations, and the article should be relevant to the play.

Eran

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:02 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:

better?

4. After you write your answer, look at the prediction of one of the other students and say whether you think that prediction is logical or not and why. Your comment should be at least 3 sentences long.
Mitzi

a. The article explains the trial procedure from the selection of the juror's,"Voir Dire" examination, to the verdict of the jurors,"Guilty" or "Not Guilty". In the article we get information about the jurors, the judges and the lawyers duties in the trial and how they should fulfil it, for example in the criminal cases the jurors have to reach an unanimous decision.

b. My prediction is that the story will be about a woman, who has been accused for spying on the USA president to get information for the K.G.B, and the jurors duty will be to decide her verdict,furthermore the foreman of the jurors is a planted K.G.B agent, who is trying to pull the strings of the other jurors so the verdict of the jurors would be "Not Guilty".

c.I think the article will help me to understand the play better , because if the play would be about trial or something related to it I will know the duties of each party and I will understand the importance of each party's duty.

I think Eran's prediction is logical, because the main idea of the article we read is the jury's duties, therefore the chances are high that the play would be about people who are jurors. If the play is indeed about people who are jurors then it's logical that certain people will try to affect or bribe the thoughts and votes of juror.I think that its logical that the play will have some "action" in it,for example Eran's prediction about people,who will try to affect the juror's vote, otherwise the play will be very doll and boring.

Michael

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by yula k Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:39 am

better?

a.The article is about how the jury works and how a trial going on.And what is every body is doing during the trial.
b.[I raed the artical all ready]
c.The article would help me to understand the play better because
now that I know what all the people doing and how the trial works it would be easy to understand the play.

I disagree with Eran about what the play is going to be about even that I raed it but the artical describes how thr trial works and his idea for a play does'nt appens even in cort.

yula k

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down