English classes with Mitzi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reflection for Twelve Angry Men

+11
ilan.p.
Adi
Dima
liorap
yula k
Julia Klepfish
JennyI
Anton ch
Slava
Eran
Mitzi100
15 posters

Go down

Reflection for Twelve Angry Men Empty Reflection for Twelve Angry Men

Post by Mitzi100 Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi Everyone,
I hope that you enjoyed reading the play and the various activities and tasks we've done connected to the play. Now it's time to reflect. This should be a bit longer than your usual post to the forum. ( 2 paragraphs) Your reflection should relate to 2 aspects of this unit:
1. What did you learn? Please relate to the "thinking skills" and also to English - vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing, anything from the article, etc.

2. What did you like? ( or not like) Please relate to what we read as well as the various activities and assignments.

I am very interested in your comments, but please remember that this assignment, like many of the others, is a chance to practice writing in English. Please check what you've written carefully before you click on the "send" button. Send me your very best English!
Make sure you write something in the subject line, or everything that you've written will disappear!!
Finally, please do this assignment only after you have done all the other assignments about the play.
Have a great trip!
Mitzi

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Reflection for Twelve Angry Men Empty Reflection

Post by Eran Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:43 pm

1. What did you learn? Please relate to the "thinking skills" and also to English - vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing, anything from the article, etc.
2. What did you like? ( or not like) Please relate to what we read as well as the various activities and assignments.

I mainly learned from the article about the jury court and its rights and duties. In the aspect of English I learned few new words like prosecutor defendant etc. I also think I little improved my reading aloud skill when we read the play aloud. This play made me to think about the motives of the murderer to kill the boy's father and I think now more about various people motives for doing different things.

In general I liked the story and its characters. I especially liked the literal clashes between juror number eight and the other jurors (especially the 3rd and the 10th jurors) and in general I liked the realistic dialogues. I also liked when we read the play aloud. It made the play to be more lively and to the characters more real, and I also liked the little recreation of the murder we did. It was fun and even a little funny.

Eran

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Reflection for Twelve Angry Men Empty Re: Reflection for Twelve Angry Men

Post by Slava Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:28 pm

I don't think I actually learned English from the activites we had with the play. But, I did learn some new words thanks to the first activity, with the article about juror duty. The thinking skills, altough are pretty obvious and commonly used in life, were more noticed due to the different activites, while I don't think I improved my grammer.

I liked the play. Some of the characters were amusing and interesting, while others were more used like scenery. The things I liked most from what we did was the readings together and the recreation of the crime, although that one I wish more acting was done.

Slava
Admin

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-09-09

http://english.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton ch Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Answers:

1)Before reading the play and the article about the jurors duty I knew just a few details about the court system and how the whole prosecution is going on. After I’ve read the play and the article I learned a lot of new details which are very important in the trial like the "Voir Dire" examination. In addition to these details, I realized that some of the thinking skills we used are very important. To tell you the truth, I began thinking in English for the first time in my life. I also learned to predict events and behavior of different jurors. Sometimes I even felt as if I were one of the jurors trying to find the right solution. Moreover, I improved my vocabulary by learning a lot of new words especially from the world of trials and grand jury. I think there is improvement in my writing too.

2)Frankly speaking, in the beginning I didn’t like this play only because I couldn’t catch the plot and the conversation between the jurors was not clear to me. But gradually I began understanding and feeling more and more interested. Finally, after reading the whole play I feel that I like the plot,
the characters and the arguments between them very much. The arguments between the 8th juror and the 3rd juror were the most interesting in my view point. Among the assignments which we did the one with the clips was my favorite. I think that reading and discussing the events of the play was very useful for me and for the improvement of my English.

Anton ch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Reflection for Twelve Angry Men Empty reflection

Post by JennyI Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:01 pm

answer:

1.Thanks to the assignment I learned several new words and improved my grammar. The thinking skills were a good reminder of the skills I already knew but did not used them that much. The article we read before the play reminded me what I have forgotten and gave me some new information about the criminal court.

2.I enjoyed the reading of the play out loud and our discussion about the play.I liked the online assignments. I enjoyed the assignment were we had to play and explain the murder that was discussed in the play. It was funny. In the play I liked the plot, although I did not get at first that it was about discrimination of black people. After seeing the movie clip in YouTube I understood the play much better. I liked the different characters, the plot and the conversations among the jurors. Maybe Ill watch the movie.

JennyI

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Julia Klepfish Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:39 pm

1) From the article about the criminal case that we read before the play I learned about the jury's job and also some small details about the American juridical system. I also learned some new words from this article. Learning about the "thinking skills" didn't help me because I already used them in my everyday life. Understanding the sequence of the crime and what happened in court in the play was easy, unlike the task that we did in the last lesson which was confusing. It is hard for me to say whether my writing improved, but I hope it did.

2) I liked the fact that you gave us an article about the American juridical system. It helped me to understand better how the American trial works and what the difference between it and the Israel trial. I also liked the assignment with the clips from the movie "Twelve Angry Men". In my opinion it gave life to the play. It was nice to read the play all together in class. It helped me to separate between the jury and understand their views better and it also was funny. In general I liked the play, especially the 8th juror.

Julia Klepfish

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by yula k Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:43 pm

answers:
1.I learned from this play many new skills like "making connections" in this play there were a lot of evidence that we needed to connect to what happen at the murder and to understand what really happened during the murder.Another skill that I learned is "perspective" for example at the play if I would at the jurors play I would vote guilty ,but now that I know this skill first I think about every probability that could happen , and only then make my mind.

2.First I like this play very much because it was really interesting and stirring
I cant stop reading it , and all along the play I was anxious to know what would happen at the end.I liked the assignment that we had to write one of the jurors diary at tell there how he feels and what he is thinking about. I liked it because it is always fun to put my self at someones place and guess what he thinks.The assignment that I had the most fun doing is then we had to act and show how was the murder looked in our opinion.

yula k

Back to top Go down

Post by liorap Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:53 pm

During reading the play, I did all the thinking skills and I think that those assignments emproved my writing. My vocabulary now is bigger than before reading the play. Now I know how to write the major part of the words from the jury world. The prediction of the events It was realy funny.

I doesn't like all the various activities and assignmens. Some of them was boring for me. But I think that it was imporant to did them because those assignments helped me to understand beer he play.I hope that all what we will read in the future will be ineresting like this play or even better .

liorap

Back to top Go down

Post by Dima Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:21 pm

1. Thanks to the article about the criminal case that we read before the play I learned some new words and about the jurors job. The "thinking skills" that we learned in class didn’t help me because the "thinking skills" are basic skills that we use every day.

2. I like the play because the way how the jurors argue about the boy’s destiny was very interesting. When I start reading I didn’t want to stop because I want know how the story ends. I like the assignment with the clips because the clip was a very good way to show what happen in the story without ruin the end. Reading the story in the class was very fun because it makes the lesson more interesting.

Dima

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Adi Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:17 pm

I learned from the play that it needs just one person who can see through it all to make a change in 11th stubborn people’s minds. One little person can make a big change. I learned that sometimes people have to be judge for good no matter how bad the things they did. Also I expended my vocabulary.
2. I didn't like that the discussion was not honorable. The jurors act in unrespectable way to each others sometimes they were fighting and seem like they were ready to kill each other in some parts. I liked the assignments they really were a chance to practice and to improve my writing.

Adi

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by ilan.p. Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:41 pm

As for me, I learned some new words that I didn't know before. There were many new words during the play, but I was happy that at least I could remember a few of them. I learned a little bit how to predict(even it was very clear that all of the jurors would discuss about waht the woman had seen). Besides, I do think that these on-line tasks helped me a little to improve my writing skills.

I liked the play and these jurors. Their quarells wich each other made the story more intersting and exciting. Besides the realistic dialogues were very intersting, and during the whole play I tried to imagine what was going there. It seemed very enjoyble when we read the play together in class.

ilan.p.

Back to top Go down

Reflection for Twelve Angry Men Empty Reflection for Twelve Angry Men

Post by emanuel.Y Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:21 pm

I learned a lot if new words.Also I improve my reading aloud, because I don't read aloud anywhere at all.
After I read the play and the artical I learned about the court system and how all happen there and all the proces that the jurors have to pass before they are coming to judge.

I liked the play in my opinion it is very interesting and dramatical so it's took my attention.I very liked the reading aloud in the class and the performancethat we did in the class in one of the lessons.The reding was interesting and funny at the same and I really liked it.

emanuel.Y

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jenia buzilo Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:44 pm

1)From the article about the criminal case i learned about the jury's job and some details about American juridical system. After i read the the story about Twelve angry men i learned a lot of new words and i improve my reading. also i learned about the court system and how all the proces happend.
2) In the begining i didnt like the story but after some actions i start to understand better the story it took my attention and i start to like this story. I very liked to read this story with all the class because i felt that i am the juror !

jenia buzilo

Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Yana S Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:26 pm

1. I think that I learned a lot of mew words,because I kept looking at the dictionary while the whole reading of the play. I learned something new about the jury. I didn't know that the jurors have different opinions about the same case, and that there can be so much action between the jurors that supposed to be reasonable people.
I don't think I have learned new "thinking skills" ,becuse I think it is something that you can't learn in class or by writing the online assignments.

2. I liked the play very much. It was interesting to see how the 8th juror attached to his standpoint , and how he proved to all the jurors, one by one, that the boy was innocent.
I didn't like the online assignments, because I don't like to discuss so much about something I've read.
But maybe it helped me to write better, and to think about something a little more dipper.

Yana S

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton I Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:51 am

1. I mainly learned from the article the process of the trail and the rights and commitments of the jury members. Else I learned a lot of new words like: verdict, indictment and predetermined, plaintiff and so on. In the grammar aspect I think I improved a bit because I had to write and read a lot of works, which, in my opinion gave me a lot to improve on and showed that I still have a lot to learn.

2. I liked some of the assignments like the clip assignment which was interesting because it showed a few scenes from the play that were very good (like the part where the 3rd and 8th juror fight and the prejudice "speech" the 10th juror started). In addition I liked the activity about he motives. It was amusing to think the motives of the boy\killer to murder the father and to give examples about it.

Anton I

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down