English classes with Mitzi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd composition for G

+12
Slava
yula k
emanuel.Y
Anton ch
Yana S
Michael
ilan.p.
Julia Klepfish
Anton I
Eran
jenia buzilo
Mitzi100
16 posters

Go down

3rd composition for G Empty 3rd composition for G

Post by Mitzi100 Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Everyone!
It was very nice to see you all today! We're nearly finished now. We have time for a bit more practice before you all take the G exam and amaze the authorities by getting 100!

Now that that's settled, here's the next assignment:

Next week, Israel will be holding elections for the Knesset. It will be a national holiday, and most people will not have to go to work. Some people think that having this holiday is a huge waste of money for the country. They think that there is no reason to give everyone the day off in order to have elections, since the voting stations open quite early and don't close until 10:00 at night. What is your opinion on this matter?

Remember to write at least 120 words in 3 or more paragraphs. No points are taken off for extra words, but remember to keep your entire composition on-topic!

You must post your composition by Friday morning . After you post your composition, choose 2 other compositions to check. Find all of the mistakes in each of the compositions you choose and post your comments.

After someone comments on your composition, decide whether you agree with the suggested corrections or not, and edit your own composition by 8:00 Saturday night, when I will start marking your compositions and giving you a grade. Please do all of the work on your own, using only a dictionary (Oxford - the black one) for help. If there is a big difference between the quality of the composition you write from home and the composition you can write in school, I will know that you haven't followed this direction.

Good luck on your Tanach exam on Thursday!
Mitzi

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

3rd composition for G Empty Re: 3rd composition for G

Post by jenia buzilo Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:11 am

The elections are held every four year. Next week, Israel will be holding elections for the Knesset. People who has 18 years old can elect. Everyone has a day off in order to take part in the elections.

In my opinion , it is right to have a day off at this day ,bacause it is the only day in four years that everyone has a right to participate in the democratical choice of our goverment. It is more important than economical expenses because it determines the future of our state. It is a pity that the students don't have to go to the shcools, universities. But in spite of this fact, I consider that this day as the jewish holidays has a large educational meaning as the citizens of the jewish state.

In conclusion, I think that we should have a day off at this day.

jenia buzilo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Eran Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:36 pm

The elections are a very important event indeed. In every country there are a lot of talks and a lot of media coverage about the elections. In our country the Election Day is considered as a holiday and almost nobody works on this day.

I think that the day off is really unnecessary and just destroys our country's economy. I really think that many people could work in this day, and take their vote after work. Anyway I don't think that students can learn in this day because most of the ballot boxes are placed in schools. I also think that we have enough holidays in the year in which people not working, or working only partially, and every day like this is wasting money for the country. So unless it's really necessary people should work every day.

In short I think that we really don't need to make the elections such a special day and give a day off for everybody. It's just wastes money for the country, and many people could work and vote.

jenia buzilo wrote: People who has 18 years old can elect.
I think that it needs to be "people who are 18 years old or higher can elect".

jenia buzilo wrote: It is more important than economical expenses because it determines the future of our state.
It is more important than the economical expenses"
jenia buzilo wrote: It is a pity that the students don't have to go to the shcools, universities.
It is a pity that the students don't have to go to the shcools and the universities.

jenia buzilo wrote: I consider that this day as the jewish holidays has a large educational meaning as the citizens of the jewish state.
I consider that this day is improtant as the jewish holidays and that it has a large educational meaning (I think that "value" would sound better.) to the citizens of the jewish state.

jenia buzilo wrote: In conclusion, I think that we should have a day off at this day.
I think that she asked about a day off for everybody and not only for us.

Last edited by Eran on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Eran

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton I Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 am

Very soon we will have the election to the Knesset, a very important process considered what is going on in our country. That's why the election day is an important event, but should we have a day off on this day only because of that?

I think we should have a day off. This day give everyone a chance to relax at least for one day from their works and to go to vote at any time they are convenient with. Yes, maybe this day will hurt a bit our economy, but besides that, it will not hurt anyone to rest for a day, maybe think a bit more which political party he would like to choose, and then to go to the elections with a clear head.

To sum it up, I think that having a day off isn't that bad as other people may think it is because the relaxtion on this day can help everyone to choose the candidate they think that fits most.

Eran:

In every country there is a whole carnival which surrounding the elections
I don't think that the word "carnival" (חגיגה, תהלוכת ריקודים) really describes what you ment to say.

I think that the day off is really unnecessary and just destroying our country's economy
The word "destroying" doesn't fit to the sentence, you should write "destroys".

Anyway I don't think that students can learn in this day because most of the ballot boxes are placed in schools
I think that "their" is needed after "in" and before "schools"

I also think that we have enough holidays in the year in which people not working, or working only partially, and every day like this is wasting money for the country
You forgot to add "are" after "people" and before "not". By the way, I really disagree with this sentence.

Anton:

Any Democratic country in our world has certain periods of elections to its Parliament

I think that "every" fits more then "any"

There are a lot of arguments disagreements among the citizens on the issue of having a day off

"...arguments disagreements..."? Did you ment to say "arguments and disagreements"? still, this part is a bit bizzare.

On the one hand, the election day is a feast of democracy and that’s why it is a free day for any citizen of the country...

Feast? You mean in term of משתה, סעודה? Like I said to Eran, this word doesn't belong to this sentence.
In addition to that, "...free day for any citizen...", I think that "every" will work a bit better then "any".

Last edited by Anton I on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anton I

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Julia Klepfish Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:53 am

In Israel the Election Day is also a national holiday, and most people don't have to go to work. There are people who think that this day shouldn't be a national holiday, I disagree with them.
In Israel the percent of the voters is very low, about 67%. I think that the Election Day should be a national holiday so people would understand how important it is to use their right to vote. I also think that giving a day off work might raise the percent of the voters. There are people who don't work in their hometown, they go early to work and come back home very late. I think that after a long day at work they fell tired and don't want to stand in line for another hour.
In conclusion, I think that the Election Day should be a national holiday so people would understand the importance of this and they would vote.

To Micael:
"The elections day is counted as a national holiday"-Election Day.
"I think it’s a good choice to make the elections day count as a holiday"-I think it is a good decision to announce the Election Day as a national holiday. I think it sounds better.
"they can make better choices"-decisiones.
"the elective parties are hiring people for a good sum of money"-the political parties are hiring people for a good amount of money.

To Anton ch:
"There are a lot of arguments disagreements "-arguments and disagreements.
"the election day is a feast "-Election Day.
"this “holiday" courses a huge waste "- causes.
"In my view point"-In my point of view.

Last edited by Julia Klepfish on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Julia Klepfish

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ilan.p. Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 am

Every four years we have an election day. Next week it is going to happen-Israel will choose the new prime minister.
There are no doubts that it's a very important event, but should everyone have a day off just because of this?

In my opinion, a little "vacation" will not hurt anyone.
We must understand that it's a very important day for the Israeli future. We will decide who is going to be our leader and who is going to make the most important decisions in the next four years. Everyone in this country has the right to go when he has some free time and to write his own opinion. Every single vote counts. Besides, it is a good opportunity to relax and to spend some time with your family.

In conclusion, taking a day off is a great idea .No one has to hurry after a hard day work in order to vote. You have to take your time and decide with a fresh head.

Anton I:

you wrote:"..what is going on in our country.." what did you mean? "what is going to be in our country" sounds better.

you wrote:"this day give" . I think that you should write"this day gives"

"to go to vote" I don't think that the first" to" is neccesary here.

"will hurt a bit our economy" I think that the order us not correct.
my opinion is".. our economy a bit.."

..."think it is because the.." you forgot to put a comma.

ilan.p.

Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:24 pm

In Israel presidential elections are held every four years. The elections day is counted as a national holiday, which causes debates whether its worth to make the elections day a national holiday, because of the financial problems it causes.

I think it’s a good decision to make the elections day count as a holiday. When people have time to relax, they can make better decisions, which is especially crucial in a day like the elections day. Furthermore, on the elections day the political parties are hiring people for a good sum of money. Therefore, people can work on that day if they will have holiday, and they can earn a good sum of money.

In conclusion, I think it’s a good idea to make a national holiday on the elections day, because it might help people to make a better decision, and because people can earn a good sum of money on the elections day if they will have holiday.

Last edited by Michael on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Michael

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Yana S Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:36 pm

The elections in Israel like in all countries in the world are a huge and important event. There are so many preparations for this day and because of this the elections day is a holiday for everyone. But some people don’t think it really necessary, Does it?

In my opinion it does. The reason this day is a holiday is to increase the number of voters. It’s really simple to understand, working people are very tired when they return home from work, many people will prefer to stay at home and get some rest then going out and standing at the queues that will be if all the people go to work that day and will come to vote only after the work. And because of the day off, everyone can come when it is convenient for him, in any time during the day without waiting in queues and it can prevent the headache that people usually have after along day at work. Also people have to have a day off to think better about their decision and choose the best candidate for them.

In conclusion, the elections day should be a holiday for increasing the number of voters and giving them a better environment in choosing their leader.

Michel:"I think it’s a good choice to make the elections day count as a holiday"-counted
"Therefore, people can work on that day if they will have holiday- if they have
"because it might help people to make a better choice- make

"and because people can earn a good sum of money on the elections day if they will have holiday.- if they have

Ilan: "but should everyone have a day off just because of this?"-has
"Everyone in this country has the right to go when he has some free time and to write his own opinion"- to write his opinion?...has the right to vote.
"

Yana S

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton ch Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Any Democratic country in our world has certain periods of elections to its Parliament. In Israel we have elections to the Knesset (the Parliament of Israel) every four years. It supposed to be a national holiday. There are a lot of arguments disagreements among the citizens on the issue of having a day off.

On the one hand, the election day is a feast of democracy and that’s why it is a free day for any citizen of the country , but in my opinion, it is done for one reason. It is to encourage the citizens of the country to come to the voting stations and to vote for their favorite party. The consequence of this voting is the Government which people really want. Also, when people have a day off they can relax from the every day routine and think carefully about whom they really want to vote for, whom they want to see as their next Prime Minister.

On the other hand, this “holiday" courses a huge waste of money for the country. In my view point, the solution to this problem is certain hours in which people come to the voting stations and vote. I think that every serious citizen will find time to vote, even if he or she has to work this day.

In my opinion, the elections day has to be a national holiday, because it is a day when the citizens of our country decide the future of the country and its destiny.

To Eran and Jenia:
Eran wrote:
jenia buzilo wrote: It is a pity that the students don't have to go to the shcools, universities.
It is a pity that the students don't have to go to the shcools and the universities.

"School" instead of "Shcool"

To Eran:
You forgot a comma ("In short,")
“surrounds” instead of “surrounding”

Anton ch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by emanuel.Y Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:40 pm

As we know, once in 4 years Israel is holding elections for the Knesset.There are a lot of voting stations all over the country, and the citizens can come and vote in them. The citizens have a holiday so they don't have to go to work.
Some citizens claim that having this holiday is a huge waste of money for the country, because nobody works and there is a kind of strike for one day in the country, and the country has to pay for this holiday. In my opinion the citizens are right.The voting stations open quite early and don't close until 10:00 at night, and everyone has a lot of time to vote.I agree with the citizens that having this holiday is a huge waste of money for the country.
In conclusion I think the elections day has to be like every normal day and not be a holiday,and people have to go to work.

To Anton ch:*You wrote "It is to encourage the citizens of the country..". I think you should write it without "to".
*You wrote "and to vote for their favorite party". I think you should write it without "to".
*You wrote "In my view point". I think you should write "In my point of view".
*You wrote "the solution to this problem". I think you should write "the solution for this problem".

To Yana S:*You wrote "working people are very tired when they return home from work". I think you should write "working people are very tired when they return home from the work".
*You wrote "many people will prefer to stay at home and get some rest then going out..". You should write "than" instead "then".

Last edited by emanuel.Y on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

emanuel.Y

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Emanuel: "there are a lot of voting stations in all over the country"- I think you should remove the " in".
"citizens have to come and vote in them"- the citizens don't have to come they can come if they want it's their choice.so "citizens can come and vote in them".
"there is kind of strike "- a kind .
"until 10:00 at night"- 10:00 pm.

Michael

Back to top Go down

3rd composition for G Empty Elections for the Knesset

Post by yula k Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Next week, Israel will be holding elections for the Knesset. It will be a national holiday, and most people will not have to go to work. Some people think that having this holiday is a huge waste of money for the country. They think that there is no reason to give everyone the day off in order to have elections, since the voting stations open quite early and don't close until 10:00 at night. What is your opinion on this matter?

On the 10th of February all citizen that have the right to vote for the Knesset decide who would be the prime minister . The elections are from 7 A.M to 10 P.M ,so the people can come at convenient time for them and vote.Some people think that it is waste of work day and people that need the money cant work.

They right, because the people have a lot of time to vote and not all the people work all day long so they can find some time to vote.And some people that have the day off dont get paid for it and they lose the money.

On the other hand,this day is given as a day off to encourage people to vote,because if all the people don't go to work and the kids don't go to school its means this day is very important , and the elections probably a good reason to have a day off.

In my opinion having a day off is correct, because the elections are very important for everyone.They will decide who would lead our country for 4 years .This kind of decision is critical for the things that would be done in our country ,so having a day off shows the people how important it is to vote.

Last edited by yula k on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

yula k

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Yula K:
"On the one hand"- I think you can remove this phrase.
"they right because the people " - they right, because people.
"and they loose the money"- loose means relaxed and I think you meant lose, so "and they lose money".
"to go and vote"- I think its better this way " to vote".
"its says "- it means
"decision critical "- decision is critical.
and you have spelling mistakes : "probebly"-probably "resone"-reason.

Michael

Back to top Go down

Post by Slava Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:03 pm

The people see the Election Day as important as any other holiday, and even more. They discuss it, they listen to the news about it, and most don't even go to work. But I don't think that it is actually necessary to miss work on that day.

Most people don't work from the early morning to the late night, and that is the time that they can go and vote. That means that any person can go before or after work and vote without skipping work that day. When people take the entire day off they cause a great loss for the economy, a loss that I don't think is essential and needed, a loss that can be prevented.

In conclusion, I don't see the need of making the elections a holiday that gives a day off from work to a lot of people.

Slava
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-09

http://english.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dima Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Once in 4 years Israel is holding elections for the Knesset. On Tuesday, February the 10th At 7 A.M all over Israel the voting stations will open till 10 P.M and every Israeli citizen have the right to vote (only if they 18 years old higher). Everyone has a day off in order to take part in the elections.
In my opinion, it is a good decision to make a holiday during the Election Day. Make a holiday during the Election Day can rise the percent of voters. Also I think that the Election Day should be a holiday because sometimes people don’t use their right to vote because they came tired from work, or work during the all Election Day.
In conclusion I think it is a good decision to make the Election Day as a Holiday.

Dima

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by liorap Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Israel holds elections for the Knesset about every four years. This is a special day. In this day, all of us need to choose a Prime Minister and his party. And because of this important day, we have a national holiday. Some people think that having this holiday is a huge waste of money for the contry. They are sure that go to vote doesn't take all the day and people domwt have to get a holiday.

Inmy opinion , having this holiday is a good decision. Not every day we need to choose a Prime Minister. It is a difficult choice and during the holiday a person can think about his decision more. The contry wants to be sure that all the people will go to vote. For example, if a person works all the day, he will come home very tired and because of this he won't go to vote. The contry wants to prevent these kinds of situations. But thanks to situations like this I can understand the importance of the national holiday.

In conclusion, all the people who can vote and want to influence on the results, have a great opportunity to do this thanks to the national holiday.

Last edited by liorap on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

liorap

Back to top Go down

Post by liorap Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Dima wrote: To Dima:"Every four years Israel is holding elections for the Knesset. On Tuesday, February the 10th At 7 A.M the voting stations will be open till 10 P.M in all the cities and every Israeli citizen willhave the right to vote (only if they 18 years old higher). Everyone has a day off in order to take part in the elections.

In my opinion, it is a good decision to make a holiday during the Election Day. Make a holiday during the Election Day can rise the percent of voters. I also think that the Election Day should be a holiday because sometimes people don’t use their right to vote because they came tired from work or work during all the Day.

In conclusion ,I think it is a good decision to make the Election Day as a Holiday.

liorap

Back to top Go down

Post by Adi Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:33 pm

The elections day is a very important day for Israel. Every person who is over the 18 years old has to vote. Since every voting voice is important to the candidates they gave everyone a day off at the elections day so that people will have no reasons to not go voting. This day will be a holiday.
One side this is very logical step. Because of the day off many people will not go to work or to do other errands and will be free to go voting with a clean relaxed head. As fare the fact that the voting day is a holiday day gives it an important meaning and encourages people to vote it’s like the candidates gives people a present.
But other side it seams that there is no real justified reason to give everyone a day of in order to have elections. People can start voting sins 7:00 am till 10:00 pm and it shouldn’t be a problem for anyone. This day off is lose of money for all the citizens and for all Israeli economy, specially this year. There are a lot of holidays in Israel indeed. It is even a little selfish from the candidates’ side to think just about getting as much voting voices and not to think about the citizens, specially at this hard time.

Adi

Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by liorap Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:43 pm

[quote="ilan.p."]To Elan:"Every four years we have an election day. Next week it is going to happen-Israel will choose the new Prime Minister.
There are no doubts that it's a very important event, but should everyone have a day off just because of this?

In my opinion, one day witout work will not hurt anyone.
We must understand that it's a very important day for the Israeli future. We will decide who is going to be our leader and who is going to make the most important decisions in the next four years. Everyone in this country has the right to write his own vote when he has some free time. Every single vote counts. Besides, it is a good opportunity to relax and to spend some time with your family.

In conclusion, taking a day off is a great idea .No one has to hurry after a hard day work in order to vote. You can take your time and decide with a fresh head. "

liorap

Back to top Go down

Post by Adi Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Liora:
1)"In this day"=> At this day.
2)"...that go to vote" => going to vote
3)" doesn't take"=> doesn't takes
4)"think about his decision more"=> to think more about his decition
5)[if a person works all the day, he comes home very tired ]=>
he will come home very tired
6) "...all the people that can vote..."=> all the people who can

Adi

Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ilia Altmark Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:30 pm

The elections are very important for the country and the people and there is definitely a good reason for having a day off, but on the other hand there is enough time for the election since it’s opened up for the whole day.

I think that on election day people should not go to work and having their time deciding which miflaga to vote for. Many people don’t think that elections are not so important so giving the people a better chance to vote is a good reason for a day off for everyone. The people should feel like the country is interested in their point of view and having a day off is a very good way to show that to the country.

Overall, I think that the day off is absolutely not a waste and it doesn’t even matter how much money the country lose, all the people in the country should be able to vote.

Ilia Altmark

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by yula k Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:54 pm

To Dima:
"On Tuesday, February the 10th At 7 A.M all over Israel the voting stations will open till 10 P.M "-
On Tuesday, February the 10th the voting stations all over Israel will be open from 7 A.M till 10 P.M....

"because they came tired from work, or work during the all Election Day"- because they come tired from work, or they work during the all Election Day...

yula k

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down