English classes with Mitzi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment

+12
Ilia Altmark
yula k
Anton ch
Dima
Slava
liorap
Julia Klepfish
Eran
JennyI
Michael
Anton I
Mitzi100
16 posters

Go down

Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment Empty Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment

Post by Mitzi100 Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Everyone,
We have now read about half of the play, and it's time to go to the movies! Shocked This week's assignment is to watch 2 different clips of the same original movie of Twelve Angry Men and answer the following questions:

1. Which clip do you like better and why?

2. Listen to the background music of each clip. Why do you think the editor of each clip chose that music? How do you think the music affects how you react to the clip?

3. Do the people and the room look like you imagined them as you read the play? How would you have dressed the people or arranged the room if you were the director?

After you write your comments, react to the comments of at least one other student.
For extra points, answer a person who reacts to your comments!
Remember!!! Watch the clips and write your comments BEFORE you read the comments of other students!

Tip: Write your comments in Word and then paste them onto the forum. Part of the reason for doing these assignments is to practice writing, and the spell check and grammar check can help you see your mistakes (and raise your grade!).

Here are the links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u39BrWC2W9o&NR=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwZ-WDtnWQ&feature=related

This assignment is due by 22:00 on Saturday night. After that you will be marked as having missed a class. No

Looking forward to your comments!
Mitzi

Mitzi100
Admin

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment Empty 12 Angry Men

Post by Anton I Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am

2. Listen to the background music of each clip. Why do you think the editor of each clip chose that music? How do you think the music affects how you react to the clip?

3. Do the people and the room look like you imagined them as you read the play? How would you have dressed the people or arranged the room if you were the director?

1. I like the second clip more. It shows a very interesting parts (like the part where one of the jurors shows to another how can the boy stab his father, but then something happens to him that causes the other jurors to stand up confused ),the voice of the announcer is mysterious and the music itself is very dramatic and loaded with thrill, that's why I liked the second clip more.

2. I think that the editor chose this music because it fits nicely to some of the parts of the clip because it is thrilling and dramatic and it helps a lot to get into the right mood when seeing the clip. The music had a big part for me of choosing the clip and because it left me wanting to see the rest of the film.

3. I don't really think I would have changed the room, because it looks just like the way I imagined it - an empty room besided a long, brown table,12 chairs and a window.I didn't really see every juror (except the 8th juror, the 9th and maybe juror 3 or is that juror 10? I'm not sure), but I do think that the 3rd juror should be more muscular because he is described as a bully somehow (but his face is perfect - hostile and mad), the 8th juror as young and serious and the 9th as an old and bold man. If I was the director, I would not change the way the jurors dressed because the cloths suit to the way a juror should be dressed, and I would not change the room because it is already designed in the right way a jury room should be.

Michael wrote:
to Anton.I:
I disagree with your decision about not changing the jury room.
lets assume you are a juror who was chosen to decide guilty or not guilty in a murder case, which involved with death sentence if the "criminal" found guilty by the jury, and it's a case which you aren't sure whenever the so called criminal is guilty or not guilty and you will have to stay a few nights with the other jurors to reach a verdict,will it be comfortable to sleep in a cheap chair like the one we are shown in the clip?

Michael have you ever heard once that the jurors slept in a jury room?I didn't, you know why?because they go to their homes and sleep there and then come back in the next day. After all it's a jury room not a hotel.

Last edited by Anton I on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Anton I

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment Empty Re: Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment

Post by Michael Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:

Mitzi

1. I liked the second clip more than the first clip, because the second clip presented exciting scenes from the movie and thrilling dialogs, which made me, want to watch the movie, unlike the first clip which showed less exciting scenes, and almost without dialogs. Furthermore, I didn’t like the black screens with texts in the first clip, which made me angry and unfocused

2.I think the editor of the first clip chose that music to emphasize the importance and the hardship that are attached to the juror’s duty, while the editor of the second clip chose that music to enforce a dramatic atmosphere upon the viewers of the clip, which will make them desire to watch the movie to discover the verdict of the jury.
The music affects my reaction to the clips by making me thrilled, which causes me to enjoy the clips more than I would without the music.

3. The people looked similar to what I imagined while reading the play, although the room wasn’t even close to what I imagined him to be, for example I thought the room will be more spacious from what was shown in the clip. If I was the director then I would have made the jurors, who weren’t serious about their duty, to dress more casually to emphasize their absence of importance to their jury duty, for example I would have made the juror, who was in a hurry to a baseball game, dress a baseball fan uniform.

to Anton.I:
I disagree with your decision about not changing the jury room.
lets assume you are a juror who was chosen to decide guilty or not guilty in a murder case, which involved with death sentence if the "criminal" found guilty by the jury, and it's a case which you aren't sure whenever the so called criminal is guilty or not guilty and you will have to stay a few nights with the other jurors to reach a verdict,will it be comfortable to sleep in a cheap chair like the one we are shown in the clip?

Michael

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment Empty 12 angry men

Post by JennyI Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:57 pm

1. I liked the second clip better, because he was longer, it had more information and because it looked more professional then the first one, it looked like a trailer for the movie.

2. The editor of the first clip is not professional , he chose a modern song to try and make the young demographic to be interested. The editor of the second clip is a professional he used an old music to perpetrate the fact that the movie was made in the fifties . The music un the first clip did not made me want to watch the movie. The music in the second clip made me want to watch the movie and I could really know what kind of feeling is in the jury room, the music made it show that the movie is about a very serious matter.

3. The people and the room looked like I imagined when I read the play. If I were the director I would not change a thing, because everything looked exactly as I thought it would be. Maybe I would made them smoke more, I imagined that they smoked in the room a lot and theres a lot of smoke.

**I agree with Michael thet the second clip was better , because it gave a dramatic atmosphere and it made me want to watch the movie. The music made me understand that the movie is about an important issue.

JennyI

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment Empty Re: Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment

Post by Eran Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:20 pm

1. I liked better the second clip because its background music was more dramatic, it had more scenes, and the most important: it wasn't cut every 10 seconds by a black screen with advertisements and facts about the film.

2. I think that the editor of the first video chose that music because it's dramatic and because this was the music that was featured in the movies of the 50's (it's a trailer from the 50's with the original music). The editor of the second video chose that specific song because it talks about lies and the truth and it underlines the movies main theme. the music made me feel the atmosphere of the movie better, and it made me to connect to the film easier.

3. The people in the room look quite like I imagined them: They all dressed in uniforms that were in fashion in the 50's. The room was quite smaller then I imagined and if I was the director I would make a bigger room with more space to move in it.

I agree with Michael about most of the topics but I disagree about the decision that the juryman must wear more casual clothes. In my opinion they knew that morning that they need to serve as jurors in a trial and the dressed themselves accordingly. I don't think that the police just kidnapped them in the middle of the day and threw them to the court.

Eran

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Julia Klepfish Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 pm

1) I like the first clip better because of the song used in the clip. In my opinion this song makes this clip connected better to the modern life.

2) I think the editor chose this song for the first clip because it talks about a child that has all his life in front of him. The juries have an important role because they decide whether the boy is going to stay a live or not.
In the second clip the music sounds dramatic and it helps to get into the mod of the movie. The juries face a hard dilemma, deciding whether throw or not to throw the boy to the death penalty.

3) Yes, the people look like I imagined them. I think that the room should be brighter and bigger because the room too crowded for 12 men.
The juries dressed formally, so if it was a film in now days they should dressed more casually.

* I disagree with Michael, I think that the first clip also shows thrilling parts, like the part with the knife. In the second clip I didn't like the fact that they showed the courthouse couple of times. However, I agree that the text screens are confusing.

Julia Klepfish

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by liorap Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:Hi Everyone,
We have now read about half of the play, and it's time to go to the movies! Shocked This week's assignment is to watch 2 different clips of the same original movie of Twelve Angry Men and answer the following questions:

1)I like more the first clip because I doesn't like the behaviour of the twelfth men in the secound clip. The were more aggressive .The music in the first clip was better in my opnion . I like the part of the clip when just one man has the courage to stand and to say his opinion that the boy is not guilty even if he know that the other jurors will attack him. Because of this I liked more the first clip.

2)The music affects at me because it's help me to feel more connected to the clip an It's gave me Ifeeling like I presence in the clip. The editor of each clip chose a music that is more suitable to the clip because if the music is more or les dramatical its affects the clip.

3)I imagined the room and the people different from what I saw in the clip.
If I was the director Iwill do the clip in a biger room with more lights.I think I willchose some younger jurors with new and more modern ideas.

I agree with michael about his answer to the therd question. The room realy needs to be differently.

liorap

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Slava Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:24 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:1. Which clip do you like better and why?

1. I liked the second clip better. It was well made, taking the most intense scenes, with good narriation and a good selection of backround music that was well-timed, while the first clip wasn't really interesting with a few interesting scenes and the loud music with the dialog wasn't a good idea at all.

2. I don't really know why that specific music was chosen for the first clip, because I was trying to concentrate more on the dialog and images then the backround music, so it was more disturbing and not so clear to me. It was loud and distracted me from the preview itself. The second clip had a good choise of music, it was placed in good places and created great suspence.

3. Before viewing the clips I didn't actually picture the people but from my thoughts of them, the actors in the film were well suited. I had a pretty clear image of the rome and it was the same as could be seen in the film, so I would not change it.

After reading Julia's comment I can understand a little better the reason behind the choise of music for the first clip, though I still don't think the first clip was better then the second. Also, I think the scenery was perfect. The clothing gives you a better feel of the time and the small rome was pretty much what I imagined the got.

Slava
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-09

http://english.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dima Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:58 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:Hi Everyone,

1. I like the second clip because the second clip had more scenes and the music is more dramatic. In my opinion the music connects us to the film atmosphere.

2. I think the editor of the first clip choose a modern song to the first clip because the clip looks like a trailer to the movie, the editor of the second clip choose more dramatic music because this music helps us to get into the atmosphere of the play. The music made me to connect to the movie easier.

3. Yes the people in the clip were dressed just like I imagined them they all dressed in a uniform. I think the room was bigger. If I was a director I would make the room bigger.

I agree with Eran about the editor music choices and about the way that the room must looks like.

Dima

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Twelve Angry Men - 2nd online assignment Empty 12 Angry Men

Post by Anton ch Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:

Questions:

3. Do the people and the room look like you imagined them as you read the play? How would you have dressed the people or arranged the room if you were the director? Mitzi

Answers:
1) I like the second one more than the first one. In my opinion the scary and gloomy atmosphere of the 12 jurors sitting in the jury room deciding the fate of a 16 years boy is more vivid. The background music in this clip (the second one) confirms my impression. I think it is the somewhat from the 50's. I was really interested and want to watch the movie itself since I have already know the plot.

2) Actually, background music is a very important part of a very clip. I wasn't impressed by the music of the first clip. In my view it doesn't suit the dramatic and tense atmosphere of the room. The music of the second clip is music of the 50's and it seems to me that the whole clip is kind of a trailer to the "12 Angry Men" movie.

3) Frankly speaking the room look in the clip is identical to my imagination, I mean every detail is more or less as I thought it to be. All the jurors are wearing ties and are very formal as jurors have to be. Moreover even one of the jurors looks exactly as I imagined him. The only thing I would change if I was the director is the size of the jury room. While reading I thought it more spacious and in the clip it is very dense.

To Michael:
Dear friend, even if the jurors have to stay a few nights to reach a verdict as you said sure that is possible but, why do you think that they have to stay in jury room when it is time to sleep? Moreover, jurors don’t have to sleep till they reach a verdict.

Anton ch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by yula k Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:

Mitzi

1.I liked the second one more than the first because in the secend were more cats showen from the film like the part when one of the jurors almost stabed another juror.

2.The editor of each clip chose that music because this music making us feel tension and expectation to see the movie.

3.Yes the people and the room look like I imagined them not that young about 30-40 old ,and I would dress them like in the movie with suits because they going to a trial .But may be I would do the room bigger.

To Liora:
I liked more the second clip but I agree with her about the part at the first clip then the 8 Th juror stands up and saying that the boy is not guilty even that all the 11 voted he is guilty.

yula k

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ilia Altmark Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:03 pm

1. The second, because it has dramatic sounds in the background what fits more to the story and gives a very special atmosphere.

2. For the first clip is that the editor thought that it will make the audience feel better. For the second clip the music was original so he didn’t even want to make a change, he just putted the original clip with the original music to get a clearer view from the movie.

3. I imagined that it’s nowadays and that the jurors are looking less formal. I would take away the papers from the table and dress the people in ordinary clothes that it will look like today.

I agree with slava about the first clip that the background music was too loud and had no connection to the movie itself. The second was much better even if it was only because of the music.

Ilia Altmark

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:46 am

Jenny:I'm glad to have someone who agrees with me Smile
to Eran: I didn't say all the jurors must dress more casually I said only the jurors who weren't serious about their jury duty, and worried about missing a baseball game or, were worried about the time they waste,read more carefuly my friend

to Julia: I didn't say the first clip don't have exciting scenes I said he had less exciting scenes,read more carefuly my friend.

to Liora:I'm glad to have someone who agrees with me Smile

to Anton Ch: Dear Friend, lets assume they don't have the premission to sleep while they serve as jurors,wouldn't it be alot easier on them to sit a few night on a more luxurious chairs,although i'm not sure it will help them,cause they still will be zombies after the missed sleep .

Michael

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by emanuel.Y Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

answers:
1.I liked the second one more than the first because it was more interesting and more dramatical then the first one and that took my atention.

2.In the second clip I think the editor chose this music because there is an argument and a lot of stress so this music make to the audience interes more in this part of the show.In the first clip I think the editor chose this music because there the argument is not with nervose kike in the second,in the first is more rest so the music is resting and that make to the audience to sleep there is no action and drama at all!

3.I would dress them with a big black overcoat that touch the floor,and I would put a circle table in the middle of the room.

I agree with Dima and think that the music on the second clip helps us to get into the atmosphere of the play and take from us more atention.

emanuel.Y

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by jenia buzilo Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

1) I liked the second clip better than the first clip , because its more dramatical because the dramatical music and because this clip had more action.
2)I think, In the second clip the editor chose this music becase this music did this clip very dramatical and more interesting and this music take from us more atention.
3)I thought that it was a very big room , but the people looked like as I thought in the clip.

I agree whith emanuel that the second clip more dramatical and interestnig!

jenia buzilo

Back to top Go down

Post by Yana S Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:45 pm

Mitzi100 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

1. I liked the second clip more because it has a very dramaticle parts of the film, and the music make it more interesting and mysterious.

2. In the first clip the music is calm and the editor only wants to show some parts of the film without making a tense atmosphere, but in the second clip the music playing a big role , the music is dramatic and fits to the dramatic parts that are shown.I think that the music in the second clip is making the people curious, and more people will come to see the film.

3.The only thing that was different was the small room, i imagined the room like a big court.
The jurors were dressed ok, like they supposed to be dressed.

I agree with slava, about the music at first clip that had no connection to the parts that was shown.

Yana S

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Adi Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:37 am

1. I like the 2nd clip more, because it was more thrilling and it gave the details right details that make people want to see what happened next, so they will be interested in watching it.
2. The first clip ended with a very good song that was ironically fit to the movie I think the editor wanted to make the ironic effect with this song.
The music of the second clip was dramatic it is no question why the editor chose it. The movie is dramatic they are deciding on humans life there.
This music make the movie sound vary thrilling and dramatic.
3. No, I thought the table would be round and the room is much bigger. If I ware the director I would make chose a bigger room with shelf filled by low books and round table in the center of the room.

I thought just like Yana thet the room was big.

Adi

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down